Avoid Overloading Your Air Conditioning System with Proper Maintenance
Sitting in the hot and humid summer days means enduring the height of excruciating heat. Any heating and air conditioning company in Knoxville knows it too well; we are no strangers to emergency calls for repairs when a customer overburdens their HVAC system. Residents in Tennessee find endless summer options for recreational time outdoors. But when looking at the averages for the region and the local weather, beads of sweat may begin marching down your forehead before you even walk out of the house to explore outdoor leisure. By the end of your activity outside, you’ll likely make a beeline back to your place to seek solace in a crispy cool environment.
You need to make sure that your desperation to cool down doesn’t wreak havoc on your HVAC system. Keep maintenance in mind and work with a heating and air conditioning company in Knoxville. This will ensure that you’re not scuttling home just to sit in a hot box of torture because you took advantage of your AC and never considered the burden you’re placing on the unit.
How Do You Know You’re Overloading Your AC?
We’re all humans, and when desperate to cool off, we ask a lot of our air conditioning and sometimes neglect to watch out for warning signs that maybe we’re requesting a little too much. Keep an eye out for these red flags, and if you find that you need a quick check-up or guidance on how to mitigate potential problems, seek out a heating and air conditioning company in Knoxville.
- Staggering energy costs. As your AC unit pumps out refreshing and cool air like a workhorse, that effort takes up extensive energy. By burdening your system too much, you may sustain some sticker shock next time your electric bill arrives. The HVAC unit may be underperforming with worn or broken parts that require maintenance.
- Your system can’t maintain a cool temperature. If you find yourself constantly walking to the thermostat to check it because you’re sitting still but feel uncomfortable, your system may be unable to keep up with your demand and may require a quick maintenance check. You can first take a look at your air filter and confirm it’s not clogged. If that’s not the case, a heating and air conditioning company in Knoxville can come out and check the compressor, refrigerant, etc.
- Your home or business feels humid. If that sticky, moist air feels like it’s infiltrating your home or work, the HVAC system may require some TLC. Coil or drainage problems could be the culprit in this situation.
- You notice warm or cool spots. If you’re hanging out in the living room but find that the dining room feels 10 degrees warmer, you may want to check and ensure that there’s no disconnect in the system or ductwork leaks that require attention.
- You’re noticing odd noises. Learn your system and what noises are normal. If you suddenly think your home is haunted or burdened by pests crawling around in unseen places, it could be the HVAC system starting to falter.
Steps You Can Take
No system goes without problems, and you’ll inevitably need to perform maintenance on your air conditioning unit. If you’re proactive, you can try and avoid overburdening your system. If you find any of the above warning signs, there are a few things you can do yourself.
- Check your filters. We can’t say this enough; add this to your regular maintenance list, and remember to check and replace your filters regularly.
- Keep it clean outside. Ensure your outdoor unit is free of debris or anything that can pile up around the system.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Keep the home or business warmer when no one’s occupying it. This will save energy costs and reduce the burden on the HVAC system.
- Maximize comfort with fans. Adding fans and circulating the air may allow you to keep your environment a little warmer and prevent the system from overworking.
When to Involve a Professional
Even the handiest home or business owners must realize when maintenance falls out of their abilities. There may be times when you should call a heating and air conditioning company in Knoxville. If you find that your system may be stressed and on the brink of overdoing it, or it has broken down, the professionals can dig in deeper for more intricate maintenance. They’ll inspect and possibly replace or repair coils, refrigerants, blowers, and other system parts.
Work with your heating and air conditioning company in Knoxville and watch for overworked AC system warning signs. Proactive measures may mean spending a Saturday night lounging under a blanket versus sweltering in the kitchen, sitting by the phone waiting for a heating and air conditioning company in Knoxville to come to the rescue.
Gent Heating and Cooling provide heating and air conditioning for residential and commercial clients in Knoxville, Knox County, and the surrounding East Tennessee area. Over 20 Years experience. Customer Service is Our Top Priority. We strive to be on time, provide accurate estimates, and have most replacement products on our service vehicles.